Thursday, October 29, 2015

Art Bead Scene October 2015: Take Two

When I initially started working on this month's Art Bead Scene challenge, I had a couple of different art beads pulled but wasn't sure if I'd actually pull both projects off.  The earrings were relatively quick and easy so I got them done right away.  (You can see them HERE if you missed them.)  The necklace that I had in mind took a little longer to come together, but I did manage to pull it off before the end of the month!

Ma'at from Tomb of the Queen Nerfertari
1255BC
Valley of the Queens
This time around, I wanted to focus more on Ma'at's wings as well as the rich gemstone colors in the artwork.  My starting place was a wonderful ceramic wing pendant from Earthenwood Studio that I've been hoarding forever.  I love the bronzy, slightly metallic glaze that she used on this piece (I think she calls it oxidation).  I pulled some lapis barrel beads that I've had forever and some matte carnelian rounds (boy, do I wish I had picked up more of those babies!) to get started.  I added in some faceted hessonite garnets and some metal cube beads (they look somewhere between antiqued brass and copper).


I knew that I wanted to pull all the elements together with multiple strands of waxed Irish linen and this is what I came up with for my second go at this challenge!





5 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Sarajo! Saw this on Art Bead Scene's site. It's a wonderful piece that gives a light nod to the inspiration. Love the mix of the deep blue lapis and more subtle oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This necklace turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful necklace Sarajo and I envy you those knotting skills, something I have yet to master!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete