Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 A Year in Review for Sj Designs

When I was growing up, my mom would always tell me that time went faster the older you got.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one who heard words like this from the adults in their lives when they were young.  As a kid, this statement made absolutely no sense whatsoever.  I mean, time passes as a set measurement so how can a it be faster or slower?  As I got older (and hopefully a little wiser!) I discovered that my mom was totally correct; the older you get the faster it seems to go.

Now another year has sped by and we are starting afresh with a brand new, shiny year... 2014 here we come!  But before we get there I want to take a little moment to look back and reflect on the year that is coming to a close.

I started the year determined to make Sj Designs Jewelry a "real" business and not just the little side project/hobby that it had been for a couple of years.  While I never got to the point to really go gangbusters promoting my business this year, I've definitely put myself out there and made a ton of progress.  Here are a few highlights:

  • Launched my blog, Etsy shop, and business Facebook page in February
  • Had my first public sale in March 
  • Tried outdoor sales for the first time at the Waconia Farmers Market (and learned a lot in the process!)
  • Invited to participate in the Edge of the Big Woods Art Wander in September
  • Participated in a ton of design challenges and blog hops which helped spark my creativity and stretch myself to try new things
  • Got involved with Andrew Thornton's Inspired by Reading Book Club and have enjoyed combining my two worlds:  books and jewelry!
  • Planned and offered two sets of jewelry making classes for teens at the library system where I work.
  • Made my first wholesale order to a Twin Cities shop

In addition to all my jewelry adventures, 2013 has been a year rich in many other ways.  Eric and I did quite a bit of travel going to Kansas City, Oregon, and Tennessee for weddings; Illinois and Alabama to see family and friends; and Duluth for a beer festival.  Eric spent the first half of the year studying hard for his Pediatric Boards which he took (and passed!) in June.  In late summer we were lucky to have visits from our friends Michael and Amy as well as my niece Anna. (While it's great fun to travel we also enjoy showing visitors around our home turf...come visit us!)

Visiting with my family on my niece's birthday.
We have shared many fun adventures, great food, and delicious drink with friends and family this year.  We've made new friends and had the opportunity to reconnect with some of our oldest and dearest as well.

All in all 2013 has been a great year!  I feel so very lucky and blessed.  I'm thankful to all of our friends and family for the support and fellowship that they have shared with me in this year of change and growth.  I'm especially grateful to Eric for all the encouragement, love, and assistance I get from my sweet husband... I couldn't do what I do without him!     


Eric and I at Minnehaha Falls
I'm very excited for what's on the horizon for 2014 and I can't wait to share with you!  Until then, have a wonderful New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment