Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Inspired by Reading May Blog Hop

This is the second month of the new Inspired by Reading Book Club and design blog hop created and organized by the multi-talented Andrew Thornton.  Each month the group reads a book and then creates something (it doesn't have to be jewelry!) in response.  To find out more about the group and the book list for the rest of the year CLICK HERE.  If you enjoy reading and are creative, consider joining the fun.

The May reveal for the group was pushed back until this week due the holiday and general schedule craziness.  The book for May was A Rumor of Gems by Ellen Steiber.  Sadly, I didn't have time to participate this month (largely because of the size of the book!) but I wanted to share what the rest of the group came up with.




Check out what others created with A Rumor of Gems in mind:


After reading all the other posts, I'm wishing that I could have made time for this one.  I think I would have enjoyed the book.  Several folks mentioned that it included a bridge made of labradorite, one of my favorite gemstones... that would surely be a sight to behold if such a thing really existed!  

While I didn't make this necklace for the challenge (it's actually one of my earlier designs), I wanted to share this little labradorite number with you.  I added in some sterling silver beads and some dark blue Swarovski pearls, but it's almost entirely made out of these really cool faceted labradorite beads.  




It was hard to do it any justice in a photo... I think it's hard to catch the flash and fire of this stone under the best of circumstances and I'm working with the perpetual gloom we've been having here in Minnesota.  I gave it my best shot!  Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. The May book was pretty awesome and ripe with imagery to pluck inspiration from! Sorry you didn't get to play along this month, but thank you for sharing the rest of the gang's links and for sharing this necklace! It's really nice. I love labradorite. It's one of my favorites. Your necklace is elegant and the stones really take center stage!

    I hope you get to participate for June. The book is not as big and I hear it's a quick read. Some of the group have already finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get a chance to read the book. I like your labradorite necklace and think it is a fitting piece for this blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! I'm definitely participating for June... I read the book over Memorial Day weekend and have already started pulling things together for my design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Labradorite is soooo lovely and shy for the camera. I can only imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful necklace, Sarajo! I'm so glad you shared it. I love labradorite too - as long as it's quality labradorite, with beautiful flash. yeah - I'm a "lab" snob. And it is so hard to photograph. The camera rarely does it justice.
    I'm hoping I'll have time for the June book, but I want to finish reading Rumors... first.

    ReplyDelete